Sunday, November 9, 2008
Sleep Study Results
Well, the Sleep Center called on Friday. This in itself is bad news due to the fact that they told us it would be 4 weeks before we were to know any results. As we suspected, he has Sleep Apnea, and he had a partially collapsed airway 43 times per hour, with his O2 sats dipping to 55% and spending too much time under 90%. He has an appointment with the ENT at Children's in about 2 weeks to discuss treatment options, the most likely of which is surgery to remove his adenoids and tonsils. The most common cause for OSAS (obstructive sleep apnea syndrome) is enlarged tonsils and adenoids, as they cause the airway to be more floppy or narrow. We also need to get an EKG to check to see if this has caused any damage to his heart, and the docs are considering putting him on O2 until the surgery. Soooooo, right now we're just waiting. I keep reminding myself that nothing had changed other than our knowledge, and his sleeping hasn't become any more dangerous than it's been the last 16 months. The possibility of surgery of course freaks me out, as I always do EVERYTHING to avoid surgery, even during childbirth. It's an exercise in patience and giving my worries to God, which has always been a struggle for me. I'm great at handling the things I have control over, but miserably inept at letting things I can't control go! I'll keep the post current as we find out more.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment