Sunday, January 20, 2008

Thanks for a great season, Seahawks!

I think this is the longest I've gone without a new post! How the time slips away. At the moment we are watching Green Bay lead the game by a point, and unfortunately the Pats won their game over the Chargers. Oh, well. (By the time I actually post, NY won! What a game!) Let's see what we've done the last few weeks:

My friend and neighbor, April, and I swap days to watch each other's kid/s. It's fabulous! She has two boys, Gibson (10 months younger than Kealan) and Grady (2 weeks younger than Tiernan). Usually we watch the older kids only, though Tiernan was especially fussy that day and I was commenting on how it wasn't going to be a fun outing to Costco because he was super-tired. April offered Grady's crib to lay him down in to see how it would go. He konked right out and slept most of the time I was gone, so his first time staying at someone's house without me was a success!

On the 12th we went over to Chuck and Nicole's house to sadly watch the Hawks lose - what a killer! On the upside, Kealan had a blast (as usual) playing in Brent's playroom with him.

We finally had Tiernan's appointment at Children's Hospital this last Wednesday at the Craniofacial Clinic. He'll need to wear a helmet (which we knew), but it won't take as long as we had thought to correct. It can take up to 4 months, though it is usually corrected much earlier than that. He needs to wear it 23.5 hours a day, every day. Babies skulls grow in spurts they call "pops", where if you take it off for a day, the head might pop and the helmet wouldn't fit the next day. It actually doesn't re-shape the head like G and I thought. The helmet just restricts the growth of the head to where you want it, and the rest stays the same. He'll need two appointments, one to measure him with lasers for the helmet, and one to get the helmet and make sure it fits. Then we just stop wearing it when we feel it's worked! I'm really excited to get this thing rolling!

Last Thursday I watched Gibson while April went out, and I had the most frazzled hour in my life! I called it the perfect storm. It was time to breastfeed T and Gibson was saying he was hungry. I told him he would need to wait a few minutes until lunch-time after I fed T. Upon picking up T I found that he had had one of those monster blow-outs that would've normally required an immediate bath. Since I was in no position to give a bath right then, I started to clean him up. K ran up to me as poop was everywhere and proclaimed that she had to go potty. I was at a decent stopping point, so I helped her up and got back to T. Then I hear from the bathroom, "celebration!", which means the pee pee has escaped from the toilet - this can be a spray or just a dribble, nonetheless, I have to get in there to clean it up. Gibson hears this and thinks he' s missing out on something good and runs to join in. Again, I abandon T to clean up K and the bathroom and try to keep Gibson out of it. After she's cleaned up, K wants her potty treat, but I tell her she has to wait because she needs to wash her hands and right now the sink is full of poopy clothes. I finish with T and start dealing with the clothes, all the while Gibson's crying about lunch, K is crying about a potty treat, and T is screaming because he's hungry! K's hands get clean, she gets her treat and them I can start lunch. I get the kids sat down at the table when I realize that I need to change Gibson's diaper, so I get him back up from the table but it's too late. He's leaked all over his pants so I grab him a pair of K's. T at this point is out of tears and is simply "zup zupping" and can barely breathe. All this time the phone is ringing off the hook with mostly telemarketers. As I sit down to feed T, I see a wet spot on the couch and I realize that that is where Gibson leaked! Poor T gets abandoned again so I can clean that up! At last, everyone is eating and I am utterly exhausted!

Funny Kealan stories:

She tasted her milk the other night and declared after her sip, "Mmmmmm, very cow-y!"

She was playing doctor and asked to listen to my "heart beep" by sticking the stethoscope in my belly button.
Just some cute pics:

A picnic in the playroom

Grady and Tiernan

1 comment:

jeannedarlingrickert said...

I must say, you have the most gorgeous children I have ever seen...of course, I may be a bit biased in my assessment, but I do think they are adorable.