Wednesday, January 28, 2009

My Huge Dilemma

My heart and mind are at war. I'm usually the one to say, "never say never", though I'm finding myself going back on one of those "nevers" I was so confident in. I have always stated firmly that I will never, NEVER own a minivan. It looks as though one is in my future. No, I'm not preggers. I'm simply realizing that the best choice of car for my family is one that I have always despised. Let me clarify: Minivans are fine, they're great. For other people. Not me. So now I have my heart (which will never tolerate such a car in my life) feuding with my head (which knows it's the best decision). Am I really so vain and insecure that I can't have this car? Can't I be secure in the knowledge of who I am that a car of such uncool-ness won't change who I am? Or who I am presenting to the outside world? You would think that this small-ish decision wouldn't wreak so much havoc, but it is! It is bringing forth many more questions about myself, and I wasn't prepared! I told G that if we do get one, he would have to put up with my red/pink/insert-color-here hair permanently. I believe it is time to let the "mom" me take over for this decision.

Two funnies from this week:
One night we were using our "Indian Names" on each other: Little Leather Foot (me), Little Tiny Head (K, due to her minuscule head), Little Lumpy Head (T, due to his plagiocephaly), and we didn't have one for G! Since the last two dealt with heads, K blurted out, "Bone Head!"

We were making popcorn for movie night, and K stated that when the popcorn pops, it "blows my mind, Momma. Watch! My mind is going to fly out into the family room!"

3 comments:

lisa said...

Well...I have to say, that I love my van, and it's even a KIA! I love that I can always have the kids take friends, and it's easy to get in and out of the sliding door. I think it's truly function over fashion, and it doesn't have to be forever!

Sonnet said...

Exactly! I love every aspect of the minivan except the "minivan" stigma. How ridiculous is that? On a smaller scale, it's like chosing the comfortable yet frumpy shoes over the fabu ones that kill your toes! And I wouldn't even call minivans "frumpy"!

lisa said...

I would try to drive a couple and see what you think, and if you still hate it, go for a 7 passenger SUV.