Tuesday, February 19, 2008

No good, horrible, very bad day

Well, no sooner had I posted the last entry, Kealan was still sick, and as we were to find out, getting worse. On Monday and Tuesday, G was able to work from home (thank God) and help me take care of two pukey kids. It was especially nice that he stayed home because the night before I had gotten 3 hours of sleep in 1 1/2 hour stretches. K was a zombie on the couch watching tv and Tiernan had to be held upright to help with the urps. By now the signal that K was going to be sick was a simple moan, a cough, or one time, "Oh, no, not again!" There was a very sweet moment when K was lying on the couch next to T and he was trying soooooo hard to share his pacifier with her! Tiernan was doing better, but we kept him in our room strapped in his swing to keep him upright for the night. By Tuesday morning things had gotten worse when K could no longer hold down water, so I called the doc. They were worried that because they were so slammed, they wouldn't be able to get her in and we would have to go to the ER to get her rehydrated. They worked it out and called us back within a few minutes with an appointment - ASAP. After a quick exam, it was determined that she needed an IV. It was horrible! She was so dehydrated it took 1 1/2 hours, 3 different people poking, 5 pokes total, and 5 people (including me) holding her down. For a girl who was so sick and limp, I don't know where that energy came from! They told me they had never seen a fighter like that! I have to say I was kind of proud that she fought so hard, but terrified that they wouldn't be able to get it in! She was screaming, saying, "GET YOUR HANDS OFF OF ME!", growling at several points, and thrashing literally every part of her body. I tried everything to get her to stay still, let alone relax: talking of Disneyland, of Daddy and Tiernan, of her friends, singing. A few times I asked her if she wanted to pray and she did, letting me pray for her ability to stay still so they could get the medicine in to help her feel better. Her tiny "Amen" brought tears to my eyes. Even the nurses joined in! Finally she passed out and they were able to get it in her foot after using a roll of tape to secure it to the table. She slept through the entire IV and they gave her some Zofran (sp?) for nausea. I felt such a sense of peace watching her rest while the IV dripped, knowing every little drop was doing good. She ended up getting 1/3 of her blood volume in fluid! 6 hours later, we left for home. Right now she's keeping small amounts of water down and refusing pedialite, pop, gatorade, juice, everything. T seems to be on the upswing, but I'm not counting on anything right now! Except for the probability that G and I will have it very soon!

No comments: