Kealan loves her "cool, new sunglasses from Chloe's party".First of all, I can't believe I forgot to write about Tiernan's MRI last week! That goes to show just how busy we were. I think I've written about it before, but Tiernan is taking part in what turns out to be the largest longitudinal study ever done of Plagiocephaly (head flattening). On Wednesday night we had his MRI done. I have to be honest that I never thought it would work. First of all, it had to be done at the baby's bedtime so they could fall into the deep part of the sleep cycle and take 3 different scans - the first took 8 minutes, the second 3, and the third 2. Our appointment was at 8 PM and the plan was to breastfeed him, get him to sleep, then strap him to the table, plug his ears, and do the test. For those of you who haven't had one, an MRI is LOUD. Well, we're in this huge room with dimmed lights which only accentuated the bright cobalt lights of the MRI machine that Tiernan found oh, so fascinating. The first problem was that I don't nurse him to sleep - he breastfeeds, and then lies down in his crib and falls to sleep. The boy fight soooooooo hard when you try to have him fall asleep in your arms, even though he's a big cuddler - go figure! So for an hour we're wrestling, walking, bouncing, rocking swaying and he's fighting me with everything he's got. He finally passed out, both of us sweaty, and we got the scans! They're very cool - I was able to see every little fold and wrinkle in his brain, his eyes, and his teeth that are yet to come in. The specialists will look at them and send us a report soon. The purpose of the MRI is to have the images in case this study leads them to any physiological findings and they can look at them anytime. They don't suspect that anything is "wrong" with Tiernan (we know why his head is the way it is).
Anyway, back to this weekend. On Saturday we visited Grandma and Jaypa in Rochester in the horrible, nasty weather. This is the first time we've made it down! They have a horse and a donkey right next door that you can feed, but they were hiding from the hail (perhaps they're more intelligent than we realize?) That's alright, Kealan was perfectly happy bossing (or should I say supervising?) Jaypa around and playing with their cats, Charlie and Smoker. Tiernan also had a grand time hanging out and even took a nap. On the way home, K passed out and Tiernan must have spent 15 minutes just staring at her. He looked very concerned with his furrowed brow. We realized it was the first time he had ever seen her asleep, let alone not talking! Because of this little snooze, she was up until almost 1 AM. She never naps anymore, and when she does, watch out! She is a living example of the power of the power nap. She could nap for 1 hour and be up an extra 5 that night!
Sunday was Chloe's birthday party and Kealan had such a great time! She had a clown that told stories, did illusions, and made balloon animals. Of course Kea requested a pink kitty. Happy birthday, Chloe!

This is a picture that Jeanne took about 1 1/2 years ago that I thought was so cute! K is eating an ice cream cone and Jay is on the cell.
Tiernan and Grandma

All four of them

Snuggling with Grandma
Kea and Charlie
No comments:
Post a Comment